Consumers can’t decide which food app to choose for ordering food online while food startups are worried about competition and coronavirus outbreak. Herein, we have curated the best food delivery apps, along with some essential guidelines to deal with coronavirus and the like viruses and flu for future online business.
Table of Contents
- Food Delivery App
- buy app install
- buy app installs and reviews
- aso mobile growth
We will be blunt.
The online food ordering market is seemingly saturated. The truth is, saturation is everywhere but saturation connotes activity. A saturated market is an active market.
If you own a restaurant, it is now time to take your business online. An app to order food online cannot go wrong at this time. If you are a tech startup with an idea to develop an online food delivery app, understand the market and then just go for it.
With the coronavirus outbreak, people are practicing isolation and social distancing. But groceries, comfort food items, are the most essential necessity, which everyone is busy stalking up. Being a food ordering service or delivery services provider, your business can actually help people stay indoor and fulfill their timely needs.
Now, when we talk about your online food delivery startup, in such a crucial virus or flu time, you need to be a little bit more specific when it comes to curating features and functionalities for the app. Herein, we have listed down the top 5 on-demand food delivery applications which you can use for your competitive analysis before developing food app.
Must Read: Coronavirus is Increasing the Demand for Delivery App: Guide to Develop an Engaging App During the Flu Season
Now before heading towards the list of applications, let’s take a quick look at the online food delivery segment and get some facts and information to know the future of the delivery app world.
Online Food Delivery Market Growth
- In 2018, Canadians ordered $4.3 billion worth of meals — of which $1 billion was on meal delivery apps like Foodora and SkipTheDishes.
- The total Canadian revenue in the Online Food Delivery segment amounts to US$2.004 Bn in 2019.
- The online food delivery segment is estimated to show an annual growth rate of 10.2%, making the market volume of US$2,959m by 2023.
- The market’s largest segment is Restaurant-to-Consumer Delivery is projected to a market volume of US$6,098m in 2025.
Being a leading web and mobile app, and software development company, we understand the growing market demand for food processing companies. We at Space-O Technologies have developed versatile food and beverage solutions and helped many companies and startups with online ordering & delivering business.
With the apt experience of developing apps in different genres from food to taxi to laundry, we have curated the best food delivery apps in Canada according to their downloads, features, and functionalities.
Top 5 Best Food Delivery Apps In Canada
|App Name||Downloads||Features||App Store Link||Play Store Link|
|SkipTheDishes||1,000,000+||· Search filter (even by delivery charge starting from $0)
· Wide variety of restaurants and cuisines to search from
· Save addresses for quick service
· Re-order favorite items
|Tim Hortons||1,000,000+||· Ordering and re-ordering favorite items
· Tims rewards for loyal customers
· Customize recipes and save as favorites
· Safe and secure payment integration
|DoorDash||10,000,000+||· Order and Group Orders are made easily
· Schedule Delivery according to preferred timings
· Real-time tracking of order
· Easy and fast payments
|Foodora||1,000,000+||· Search the best restaurants in the town
· Choose your favorite dishes
· Pick-up or get it delivered
· Schedule your order
|Little Caesars||5,000,000+||· Store locator that automatically detects the closest store
· “Custom pizza builder” to get tailor-made pizzas
· Order scheduling that lets users schedule up to 6 days in advance
· Save favorites for quick ordering
- SkipTheDishes app was launched in 2012 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It mainly serves in the Canadian cities but later expanded to the US and other countries. It is now associated with over 16000 restaurants worldwide. There are over 2000 employees and delivery executives of this company who work to make it one of the top Canadian food delivery services. According to Crunchbase, this app has received total funding of CA$8.5M. SkipTheDishes is a most popular food delivery app in Canada here are number of downloads and ratings.
- Apple App Store Rating: 4.6
- Google Play Store Rating: 3.9
Source: SkipTheDishes app
Before moving further to the rest of the applications, let’s have a look at the pros & cons of this app to get a better idea for your own food delivery apps development.
|· Real-time order tracking and live GPS order tracking.
· Filter restaurants by delivery fees to see nearby delivery options that offer a $0 delivery fee.
· The user is allowed to re-order his favorite dish via order history.
|· The app has limited filters which result in user dissatisfaction.
· There are no proper delivery settings in the food app like multiple delivery addresses.
· Issues in checkout and payment gateway integration.
- Tim Hortons
- Tim Hortons restaurant was founded in 1964 and has now expanded to more than 4500 locations. They have been serving scrumptious doughnuts and coffee since the time of inception but decided to go digital in 2017 with an online food ordering system and restaurant app by the same name. It serves all the major cities in Canada and even smaller ones. According to Statista, Tim Hortons (restaurant chains) generated revenue of approximately US $3.29B.
- Apple App Store Rating: 3.8
Source: Tims Horton App
For more clear information on the functioning of the food application, let’s have a look at its pros & cons.
|· It allows users to add recently ordered items or customize their orders in just a tap.
· Earn rewards through a digital loyalty card when ordering in a restaurant.
· Choose the pick-up method and get the order at the doorstep/ takeaway.
|· The user interface of the application is not intuitive.
· No seamless login process.
· The online payment system has errors functioning in the app.
- The app to deliver food was launched in 2013, San Francisco, California, United States. They now have over 6900 employees and delivery executives that make food delivery as breezy as possible. It is one of the best food delivery apps in Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa among other cities of Canada. It has received total funding of $2.1B according to Crunchbase.
- Apple App Store Rating: 4.8
- Google Play Store Rating: 4.4
Source: DoorDash App
Before moving forward to the next food app, for better analysis of your competitor, have a look at the pros & cons. This will help you avoid the development barriers in your app.
|· Schedule deliveries anytime anywhere.
· No contact-delivery for the safety of employees and customers.
· Subscription to DashPass that offers $0 service fees and delivery fee.
|· DoorDash takes a lot of time to load its online food ordering services.
· The app has a glitch in its payment integration feature.
· The online delivery service has many feature functioning issues resulting in customer dissatisfaction.
- This food delivery startup is originally based in Berlin, Germany and was founded in 2014. It expanded into the Candian market by acquiring Hurrier in Toronto. They have partnered with over 9000 restaurants in several countries globally. It is among the top app for food delivery services in Canada and serves in the cities of Calgary, Quebec, Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, and Ottawa.
- Apple App Store Rating: 4.6
- Google Play Store Rating: 4.1
Source: Foodora App
Let’s have a look at the pros and cons of the Foodora app, to know more about its seamless functioning and technical glitches in the in-app user experience.
|· The users can pick up their order by scheduling in advance.
· Track the food in real-time.
· Select the favorite cuisine from the local favorites.
|· “Checkout” error in the food app.
· The app is missing out on “delivery near me” options for a quick delivery service.
· The delivery service app has no vegan options and a few vegetarian or allergy-friendly options.
- Little Caesars
- Little Caesars was established in 1959 Garden City, Michigan, United States and went on to become one of the most famous pizza places ever. The app had to be on our list because it was launched in 2018 but has already made it mark among the best food delivery apps. This app like Uber for food delivery has a unique functionality of TouchID/ FINGERPRINT and FaceID login.
- Google Play Store Rating: 4.7
Source: Little Caesars
Before moving further to the rest of the delivery apps, let’s have a look at the pros & cons of this app to get a better idea for your own food delivery apps development.
|· Custom food ordering and real-time order tracking.
· The specially curated menu is easy to navigate.
· Intuitive user interface.
|· The delivery feature of the app is not functioning seamlessly.
· Promo codes annoy users and thus affects the in-app user experience.
· No option to make an order and select to pay at the store on a carryout.
Let’s have a look at how these food delivery apps are coping up with the coronavirus pandemic all over the world.
How are Food Delivery Apps Dealing With Coronavirus Circumstances?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “there is no evidence to support the transmission of COVID-19 associated with food.” Further concluding the statement it stated that a person might get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own face.
- By applying the kitchen takeout food delivery guidelines, every online fast food delivery services are allowed to perform their task and provide necessities to the quarantined people. If you are planning to develop “deliveries near me” app or become the best among the takeout food apps then you should keep these online food delivery growth waysin mind.
- Contactless carryout and contactless delivery:Being a food ordering app, for better customer support, you should curate such delivery options for the safety of your users and gig economy workers. These features do not allow both parties to come in direct contact with each other at the time of order delivery.
- Eliminate delivery fees or charges: For better delivery food services, you can provide food at a flat rate and no delivery fees. Whether it is a credit card/debit card/cash payment there should be no extra charges to be laid on the consumer.
- Emergency care kit:If you are a restaurant partners platform or sole food delivery app, you should have a basic listing of recipes, basic food combos, breakfast meals, ready to meet the increasing demand. Make sure you stock-up your inventory and sell it without any commission and optimal food quality. This will engage more traffic to your food app solution.
- Online payment only:To avoid hand-to-hand contact, make sure your food delivery app like Postmates or GrubHub has such a feature enabled during crucial times like COVID-19 pandemic. Encourage your customers to pay the price or money online for the food they ordered at their doorsteps.
- Sanitization of hands:Make sure your food delivery man has gloves on while delivering the parcels to ensure the safety of your employee and the client. You can also provide them with extra gloves for the customers who have opted for the cash payment methodology. The customer has to wear gloves before paying for their food package.
- Pickups or takeaway orders:In case, if the customer decides to collect their order from your location, make sure you place it indoors on a table or chair. You can also place it outside on their vehicles, once they arrive to pick their respective orders and address them from a distance.
You have seen some of the best apps for delivery food and apps for restaurants on the list. If you wish to compete with these you would need some strategies to distinguish yourself from the rest as these apps did.